{"id":45081,"date":"2024-01-17T13:13:23","date_gmt":"2024-01-17T21:13:23","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/sweet-pascal.52-27-215-206.plesk.page\/homeless-man-arrested-after-allegedly-burning-flag-to-cook-dinner\/"},"modified":"2024-01-17T13:13:23","modified_gmt":"2024-01-17T21:13:23","slug":"homeless-man-arrested-after-allegedly-burning-flag-to-cook-dinner","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/vietvalley.com\/en\/homeless-man-arrested-after-allegedly-burning-flag-to-cook-dinner\/","title":{"rendered":"Homeless man arrested after allegedly burning flag to cook dinner"},"content":{"rendered":"
A homeless man in Vietnam has been arrested after he allegedly posted a video to Facebook of himself burning the country\u2019s flag as fuel to cook his dinner, state media reported.<\/span><\/p>\n\n Pham Cong Hung Nhan, 43, was detained by the Ba Ria City Police Investigation Agency on charges of \u201cinsulting the national flag\u201d under Article 351 of Vietnam\u2019s Penal Code, according to the People\u2019s Public Security online newspaper.\u00a0<\/span><\/p>\n\n The violation is punishable by up to three years in jail and community service. Nhan lives in southern Vietnam\u2019s Ba Ria-Vung Tau province.<\/span><\/p>\n\n Authorities allege that on Dec. 9, 2023, Nhan left a sack of recyclables he had gathered to sell in front of a house while he went to buy some coffee, only to find the sack gone when he returned.\u00a0<\/span><\/p>\n\n In anger, he pulled down a flag and flagpole from in front of the house and took it to his shelter in an empty lot.<\/span><\/p>\n\n Later that evening, the report said, Nhan used his mobile phone to record himself putting the flag into his wood burning stove while he cooked dinner, and posted the nearly four-minute <\/span>video<\/span><\/a> to his Facebook account the following day.<\/span><\/p>\n\n The report cited Nhan as testifying that he had been shunned by his family members because he was homeless and forced to earn a living by collecting recyclable garbage to sell, and felt \u201cauthorities had failed to protect him.\u201d<\/span><\/p>\n\n The newspaper said Nhan used his Facebook account to post and share stories, photos and videos with \u201ccontent insulting the national flag, distorting and defaming the honor and dignity of the founding fathers and leaders of the Party and State, distorting the truth of the revolutionary history, and defaming the people\u2019s government and socialist regime in Vietnam.\u201d<\/span><\/p>\n\n